Freddie Gray case: Charges dropped against remaining officers

Baltimore (CNN)Baltimore prosecutors on Wednesday dropped all charges against the three remaining officers facing trial in connection with Freddie Gray’s death.

Gray, 25, died after sustaining a neck injury while in police custody in April 2015. Three of the six officers charged in the case had already been acquitted.
    Gray’s death became a symbol of the black community’s mistrust of police and triggered days of protests and riots in Baltimore. The city became a focal point of the Black Lives Matter movement and the nationwide debate on excessive police force. Police said no extra officers will work the streets Wednesday night.


    “The state attorney simply could not accept the evidence that was presented,” Ryan said. “She had her own agenda.”
    Investigators concluded Gray’s death was an accident, said Ivan Bates, an attorney representing one of the officers.
    “The thing that bothers me is this: We always attack the criminal justice system. We have to let the criminal justice system speak for itself. It gets it right,” he said.
    Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake told CNN that the prosecution’s decision to drop charges made sense, given how the judge had ruled in the trials of the other three officers.
    “I think (Mosby) made a wise decision, because the judge has found in the past that the cases were thin,” she said.
    Police Commissioner Kevin Davis, who took over for former Commissioner Anthony Batts in October, said 30 “ethical, experienced, and talented” detectives worked on the case and a local newspaper reporter was given access to the investigation.
    “We knew the community would need a transparent assessment from an independent third party,” the commissioner said.
    Davis said the decision to drop the remaining cases was a wise and thoughtful one. He also said the relationship with Mosby’s office was inherently strong and will remain so.
    The commissioner’s office said the officers are on administrative duty until a review by the Montgomery County Police Department is finished.

    Van ride was key part of investigation

    Gray died a week after police stopped him on a Baltimore street.
    During his arrest, officers placed Gray in the back of a police van, which made several stops.


    Three officers were previously acquitted in the case: Edward Nero, a bike officer involved in the initial police encounter with Gray; Caesar Goodson, who drove the van that transported Gray; and Lt. Brian Rice, the highest-ranking officer charged.
    A retrial against Porter had been scheduled after a jury deadlocked in the case against him in December.
    The prosecution’s announcement Wednesday closed the criminal cases against the officers. But they still face administrative reviews and possible discipline.
    Ryan told reporters Wednesday that most of the officers are already back at work.

    Read more: